You hear me talk a lot about habits on this blog and on Facebook. I’m sure you have heard about Eating Slowly to 80% full, eating enough protein and veggies for you, and maybe even being more discriminating with your carbs based on your own goals.
But, there is a habit I want to talk about today that is a bit different. It is more about mindset than it is about physical habits. Mindset habits, though, are cultivated the same way as eating and exercise habits.
I like to call this habit “The Reset Button.”
The Reset Button is just like all the other habits. It is a habit that needs to be practised and the more you practice the easier it becomes.
What is The Reset Button?
Do you remember the Staples ‘Easy’ Button?
The Reset Button is kind of like that. It is an imaginary button that you can slap and instead of making something easy you get a reset.
Tell me if you have been in any of these scenarios?
- You are having an emotionally taxing day and you find yourself reaching into the cookie jar far more times than usual.
- Life is super tough and stressful right now and the pull of the drive – thru has been too strong to resist.
- You are so tired to even think let alone practice your habits and exercise.
- You are out with friends and/or family for a fun outing. You are having a wonderful time and don’t really think about any of your habits. And honestly, you just don’t want to anyway.
I am sure we have been in each of these scenarios. We’ve all been there. This is not a judgemental talk about having no excuses, to suck it up, and do what you have to do no…matter…what. Shoot! Your coach doesn’t even follow that philosophy. We are all human and we all have good times and bad times. There is grace here.
There is the RESET BUTTON here. I also like to call the Reset Button the “KIND BUTTON.”
How does this RESET BUTTON work?
- When you have a rough day, week, weeks, or months, pause and notice what’s going on. Acknowledge that this is not what you want in the long haul.
- NAME what happened and WHY it happened. “Okay, soooooo…..that totally just happened. It happened because……..”
- Promise yourself that you won’t punish yourself over this. We are all human. Grace.
- Hit that RESET BUTTON!!
- BOOM!! Everything is gone and you have a fresh slate for practising habits and getting back into a healthy routine of movement. Doesn’t that feel so good?!?!
Like I said earlier, this is a habit that has to be practised. So much guilt surrounds modern diets and that is not necessary.
Do you recognize this spiral?
- You eat a few too many cookies.
- You come out of whatever haze you were in when you ate the cookies.
- You realize what you just did.
- You hit the GUILT button.
- You start saying things like, “What in the world?! How did that happen?! I am such a failure at this diet. What’s the point?!”
- You ultimately give up, only perpetuating the cycle of guilt and self-hate.
Sound familiar? Yeah, me too.
Hitting the Guilt button only breeds failure. You are so much bigger than that.
So, you may need to hit the RESET BUTTON every day for a while or even several times a day. That is okay. Just like all the other habits the more your practice this habit the easier it gets.
When you are working on establishing healthy habits in your life make sure you don’t neglect your mindset habits.
Promise yourself that you will hit the RESET Button (The kind button) when you sway from your goals instead of hitting the GUILT button.
I think you will far happier and more successful in the long run.